To make a long story short: I passed! I'm officially a Professional Engineer licensed in the State of Texas!
Here's my seal. What's that? Need a set of construction plans sealed by a Professional Engineer. Oh, well, I mean, I could help ya with that. Let me just grab my ole seal.... it's laying around here somewhere... heh

Now backing up:
The application process itself is a doozy, requiring you to submit a 12-page summary of experience covering the previous 4 years in which you detail all the engineering projects you've worked on and how your responsibilities have increased during that time. Then you gotta track down all the engineers that you worked under during those years and get them to sign off on this document. Good luck on that. One of my supervisors never responded to my attempts to contact him!
Anywho...then the "Board" reviews each application and lets you know if you've been accepted to take the test. Get that? You have to apply and get clearance just to take the test. So, that was submitted back in early December.
I got the good news back in February that the Board had accepted my application... whew!
During the time from December to February you are studying for the huge test which is in late April. You're not even sure if you're going to be allowed to take the test, but you have to take a gamble and start studying in hopes that you're accepted.
Have I mentioned by this point that the test is 8 hours long? And that the pass rate is around 50%?

Fun sidenote: When I got my admittance ticket for the test, I found out that I was to be seated at seat "PE 3"... that means seat #3 ... of over 500 seats. I was on the very front row. Seat #3! I was sitting basically IN the front door of the place..."the place" being the Austin Convention Center. Turned out to be a great thing, because I didn't get distracted with other folks since they were all behind me. Anyway, back to the drama...
From February to April, I was in hiding. No one saw me because I spent every moment studying. Ugh. So many books. You're pretty much re-learning everything you learned in 4+ years of college as well as cramming all the knowledge you learned as a practicing EIT (engineer-in-training) during the following 4 years, including all the things you never learned and types of projects you never worked on.
The day before the test a couple of gals and I agreed that we would spend the day (for me, half the day) NOT STUDYING. Instead, we went to see a movie. It was the day-after Earth Day, so we saw the big screen version of Earth!
The next day the 8-hour test commenced. It's open book, so you're expected to bring in any reference materials. Which means that almost all the folks bring in an entire box/luggage/icechest full of books.

Well, no, the books don't look like that. But they're huge, lemma tell ya. (PS: Yes, Rev is sitting on my lap, hidden by the tent-sized book)
So you take the test, then wait 8 to 12 weeks for the results. Talk about waiting!
Then one day in late-late June, one of the the aforementioned gals called me to tell me that the results were up. I logged in and started yelling with her still on the phone, happy yells, if there's such a thing. Then Rev and I jumped up and down for a long, long time. Then he asked for me to carry him after he got tired of jumping and the both of us jumped up and down. We were both laughing so hard that I didn't realize how tired I was from the jumping. The next day my Rev-carrying arm didn't work so well.
So there ya have it, a shortened version of the first half of my 2009.
We had to submit photos to the "Board" to go with our file. I had my best guy Brett come over the day after we found out the results. We both passed, and turns out Brett got one of the highest scores in Texas (according to him)! So we took these headshots of eachother in my backyard.


I didn't submit that exact picture, but dorky's more my speed, so there ya go.
Oh, and I got Brett's ring too. Go Raiders!

...And Go Longhorns too!
3 comments:
YAY!!! I love the dorky picture, I still have not taken mine. I only have a couple more weeks to get that in. The letter said 60 days from the date on the letter even though I got the letter in my mail box 2 weeks after that date. You are awesome. I love the big book photo.
Woooohooo! Congrats again, Meli! I was highly entertained by your blog entry and o'so proud of you for all the effort you put in to passing. But I'm glad you now have time to hang out with us slackers again!
Good on ya Sis! (That's Australian for 'good job'). Now you are an official engineer/ web designer/ photographer. How cool is that?
I liked the pic of the giant book... I wonder how big the writing is inside. Also you should try and take another pic with just your's and Rev's legs showing. Ha!
Post a Comment