11 February 2009

Luna

Big news for my little family: we got a dog!

Luna is a 3 year old Lab, very energetic and well behaved. We've actually had her for a couple of weeks now. Where did we get her, you ask? From the Texas DPS, of course. Delivered by an Officer in a K-9 vehicle. Luna used to be a MWD -- Military Working Dog for the Department of Defense out at Lackland Air Force Base. Apparently after a year or so of drug- and money-sniffing she lost interest in working so the DOD handed her over to the DPS, who kept her for a couple months and then agreed that she really wasn't interested in working or paying attention. So, this little misfit ended up with us. She's lovely, very relaxed as long as we keep her outdoors, not a whiner or non-stop barker, and well trained. Though, she is very easily distracted! Oh, she's also incredibly muscular. I'm not sure what they had her doing at the DOD, but I want to make sure and keep her well exercised. And with daylight hours getting longer and the weather getting nicer, it hasn't been a problem.

As it turns out, Labs are water-loving dogs, so I'm very excited to take her swimming soon!

Rev loves her to pieces and will jump on her, hug her neck way like there's no tomorrow, and hang onto her collar while Luna drags him around the yard. And Luna never scowls are bites or back. They are a perfect match.

I'm planning on building Luna a ramp and a beam to play on in the back yard, and, according to the vet, I have to give her some sort of "job" to keep her happy. I haven't figured out what the job is, as of yet... I've tried hiding money around the house in places I know she will look, but she doesn't seem interested in working...

Some shots I took this afternoon:


1 comment:

Samuel said...

What a beautiful dog! And with a cool history as well. Congrats on the new addition!